EKISC is excited to announce our 2018 Photo Contest. The idea behind the contest is to raise awareness of the impact of invasive species and get the community involved in the fight against invasive species.
Beauty is often in the eye of the beholder. In their native range, invasive plants and animals are akin to our most beloved native species here in the RDEK. Although still quite photogenic, when invasive species thrive outside of their natural range, they start to interrupt the delicate balance of our environmental, economic, and social structures.
You must submit at least one photo in any of the themed categories:
THE GOOD | THE PRETTY | THE BAD | THE UGLY
Photos will be featured on our social media sites and our website.
The Contest will end on September 15th at 5PM MST. Although many photos fit into these categories, please try to be true to the invasive species theme.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Take an "Invasive Species" themed photo that fits into one of the four categories (The Good, The Pretty, The Bad, The Ugly) and upload your files below.
2. Make sure that you caption your photo in detail (it will help our judges understand why you entered it into a category) and be sure to include with one of the four themed categories. For example: "The GOOD: Pulling Spotted Knapweed with the ABC Conservation Group! We got up early and pulled out 15 bags (400 pounds!). Feels so good to be a community steward!"
3. Share the contest with your friends!
**One winner from each category will win an EKISC hat and a lens kit for their phone**
**Winners are judged by EKISC based on the accuracy and creativity that each photo captures or represents as it relates to invasive species and on of the four themed categories. Although photos may receive votes and likes on social media, this is not an influencing factor for the judges.**
Copyright 2018 East Kootenay Invasive Species Council
• Each category must have its own photo – you can’t submit the same picture for multiple categories.
• Photos MUST be captioned.
• Digitally altered photos (i.e. Photoshopped) are not allowed and will be disqualified.
• Invasive species ID courses, outreach events, and weed pulls are offered through out the summer to help you get involved and take relevant photos.
• Photos will be judged on the accuracy and creativity that each photo captures or represents as it relates to invasive species and on of the four themed categories. Judges are EKISC Staff.
• There is no limit to the number of entries per person.
• If you have questions about the categories items, post them on the East Kootenay Invasive Species facebook page or write to email@example.com
• If we like a photo, we might want to use it in future marketing for EKISC projects. We will contact you for permission before using any photo, but we will not be purchasing any photos. By participating in the contest and uploading photos, you acknowledge that you understand that this is done for fun and for the purposes of participating in the contest does not imply any commercial or monetary relationship or obligation on the East Kootenay Invasive Species Council.
• We prefer photos that were taken within the Regional District of the East Kootenay.
• At the end of the photo contest, the winner will be announced on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the EKISC website) and awarded a prize of a phone lens kit and an EKISC hat.