We recognize that backcountry skiing can be daunting to approach. That’s why Ben Goertzen and the Friends of the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center have teamed up to help breakdown some of the most prominent barriers of entry to backcountry skiing through this campaign. One lucky winner will be given a complete backcountry skiing kit, a spot in an avalanche awareness course, and featured in a three part video series that ends with an excursion into the backcountry with professional skier and filmmaker, Ben Goertzen. These videos will be used by the Friends of GNFAC to help other aspiring backcountry skiers gain awareness, knowledge and start to breakdown their barriers to entry.
You win a complete backcountry skiing setup, a spot in an avalanche awareness course and day in the backcountry putting your new gear and knowledge to the test. The retail price of this package is over $5000.
On top of it all, your journey will be showcased in the last two episodes of a video series aimed at helping other aspiring backcountry skiers gain awareness about approaching the backcountry.
Ep. 1. Launch Contest (Top of the Page)
Ep. 2. Introduce Winner and follow them through the process of setting up their gear and attending an avalanche awareness course.
Ep. 3. The winner is joined by Ben Goertzen and an avalanche professional for a day of backcountry skiing to help build experience and understanding of local terrain.
- Blizzard Ski
- Tecnica Boot
- Marker Tech Binding
- Blizzard Skins
- Black Diamond Sharp End Pant and Coat
- Black Diamond Recon Safety Set (Transceiver, Shovel, Probe)
- Black Diamond Dawn Patrol 32 Backpack
- Black Diamond Razon Poles
- Black Diamond Tour Gloves
- A spot in a GNFAC avalanche awareness course on Jan 15th/16th with a field day on Jan 18th/19th.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Located in the Bozeman, MT area.
- Comfortable with being filmed as a part of Backcountry Barriers video series (Interview, learning process, gear setup, etc.).
- Skier. This is the first year we are running this program, so unfortunately with the gear we have we are limited to skiers. However, we aim to expand our audience in the future.
Upload a new photo to Instagram of something in the outdoors that gives you joy or excitement and be sure to follow/tag @mtavalanche, @benjamingoerten and use the hashtag #backcountrybarriers. This could be a photo of a mountain, sunrise, dog, picnic, flowers, etc.. Don't worry about the "quality" of these entries as this is not a photo contest.
Fill out the form below by identifying your barrier of entry and telling us why you deserve to be the lucky winner. We will base our decision off of the form entry.
Ben Nobel - Board Member at Friends of GNFAC
Jeannie Wall - President at Friends of GNFAC
Doug Chabot - Director of GNFAC
Ben Goertzen - Skier/Filmmaker