Copyright 2018 [Carnegie Mellon University]
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR OTHERWISE RESTRICTED BY LAW.
THIS PROMOTION IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED, ADMINISTERED BY OR ASSOCIATED WITH ANY SOCIAL MEDIA ENTITY ON WHICH IT MAY APPEAR, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM OR SNAPCHAT (COLLECTIVELY, “SOCIAL MEDIA”).
1. SPONSOR: Carnegie Mellon University Steinbrenner Institute for Environmental Education and Research (“Sponsor”).
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Pittsburgh 2050 Climate Multimedia Challenge (the “Promotion”) is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age (or at least 19 in AL and NE) or older at the time of entry, are enrolled as a full-time student, in good standing, at one of the following universities (each, an “Entrant”): Artist Institute of Pittsburgh, Carlow University, Carnegie Mellon University, Chatham University, Community College of Allegheny County, Duquesne University, La Roche College, The Penn State Center, Point Park University, Robert Morris University, and University of Pittsburgh (collectively, the “Universities”). By accepting these Promotion Rules, the Entrant grants permission to the Sponsor to verify that the Entrant is a student in good standing at the specified University. Void outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia and where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Employees, officers and directors (and their immediate families and members of their households, whether or not related) of Sponsor, the Universities, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, manufacturers or distributors of Promotion materials (collectively, the “Promotion Parties”) are not eligible to enter. Participation constitutes Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Promotion. Winning a Prize (as defined below) is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein and is subject to compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
3. TIMING: The Promotion’s submission period begins on 26 February 2018 at 12:00 noon Eastern Standard Time and ends on 18 March 2018 at 11:59 pm, Eastern Daylight Time (the “Submission Period”). Voting on submission will begin on 19 March 2018 at 1:01 am, Eastern Daylight Time and end on 30 March 2018 at 11:59 pm, Eastern Daylight Time (the “Voting Period”). The beginning of the Submission Period to the end of the Voting Period shall be referred to as the “Promotion Period”. The Sponsor’s computer, or that of its designee, runs the official clock for the Promotion and will solely determine the time by which an entry is received.
4. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Promotion, Entrants will need to register as a member on ShortStack (the “Platform”), available at [https://1.shortstack.com/8n8ccJ]. Once registered on the Platform, navigate to the submission page and follow the instructions for submitting an Entry. An “Entry” will consist of a video not to exceed one (1) minute, and a corresponding narrative not exceeding Two Hundred Fifty (250) words that captures the message of the video, whereby Entrant will describe their vision of Pittsburgh in 2050 when we have successfully decarbonized and dealt with climate change; how we did it, and what life will be like in Pittsburgh in 2050. Entries must include the hashtags #PGH2050 and #Contest. Submission of an Entry grants Sponsor and its agents the right to publish and use such Entry in any way, in any and all media, without limitation and without consideration to Entrant. Entries must be the original work of Entrant, may not have been previously published, may not have won previous awards, must not infringe third-party rights, and must be suitable for publication. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of Sponsor, and receipt of such entries shall not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
· The Entry must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
· The Entry must not contain brand names or trademarks other than those owned by Sponsor, which Entrant has a limited license to use in his/her Entry in this Promotion;
· The Entry must not disparage Sponsor or any other person or party;
· The Entry must not contain material that is inappropriate, offensive, indecent, obscene, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
· The Entry must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age; and
· The Entry must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of, or contrary to the laws or regulations in any state where Entry is created.
5. JUDGING: At the end of the Voting Period a panel of judges consisting of Sponsor and its designees will score the 10 (ten) eligible Entries receiving the highest number of votes based on the following judging criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
Relevance to climate change
25% of total score
Unique point of view with clear message
25% of total score
25% of total score
25% of total score
The Entry with the highest scored based on the foregoing Judging Criteria shall be deemed the potential Winner. In the event of a tie, the Winner will be determined based on whichever entry received the highest score in the Creativity and Production Values category from the judging criteria. In the event of a tie in Creativity and Production Values judging criteria, the Entries will be re-judged by a different panel of judges. POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY THE SPONSOR AND MUST MEET ALL ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS BEFORE AN ENTRANT WILL BE CONFIRMED AS A WINNER AND PRIZES AWARDED.
6. PRIZE: Winner will receive one (1) Bamboo Bicycle manufactured by a social enterprise, nonprofit organization that manufactures environmentally friendly bicycles. Contest organizers will also donate two (2) Bamboo Bicycles in the name of the contest winner to the nonprofit organization of the winner’s choice. Prize is non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions. In the case of unavailability of any Prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a Prize of equal or greater value.
Winner acknowledges that the Promotion Parties have not made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Any and all warranties and/or guarantees of a prize (if any) are subject to the respective manufacturer’s terms therefor, and Winners agree to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty and/or guarantee.
7. NOTIFICATION: Winner(s) will be notified by email or mail at the email address or physical address provided at the time of entry, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. Winner(s) will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and a Liability and Publicity Release, and must claim his/her Prize within fourteen (14) days of Prize notification. If any winner(s) cannot be contacted within five (5) business days of the first Prize notification attempt, if any Prize or Prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any winner rejects his/her Prize, or in the event of noncompliance with these Official Rules, such Prize(s) will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected from all remaining eligible entries. Upon Prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Limit one (1) Prize per person, household or company.
8. CONDITIONS: All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of winner(s). Except where prohibited by law, entry in the Promotion constitutes each Entrant’s permission for (a) Sponsor to use his/her entry for advertising and promotional purposes throughout the world in any media now known or hereafter developed, without notice or compensation; and (b) entry in the Promotion and acceptance of any Prize constitutes each winner’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, image, photograph, voice, performance, signature, biographical information and/or any statements made by winner regarding the Promotion or Sponsor for advertising and promotion purposes throughout the world in any media now known or hereafter developed, without notice or additional compensation. By participating in the Promotion, Entrants and winner(s) agree to release and hold harmless the Promotion Parties from any and all liability for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever, including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death, which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to or participation in the Promotion, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of any Prize or participation in any Promotion-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. Sponsor is not responsible if the Promotion cannot take place or if the Prize cannot be awarded due to delays or interruptions as a result of acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules or attempt to interfere with this Promotion in any way shall be disqualified.
9. ADDITIONAL TERMS: For online entries, in case of dispute as to the identity of any Entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that such winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed, robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. The Promotion Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communication malfunctions, which may limit their ability to contact the potential winner(s). Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend the Promotion should (in its sole discretion) viruses, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Promotion. In such case, Sponsor may select the winner(s) from all eligible entries received prior to the occurrence of the interfering event. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Promotion. Sponsor may prohibit an Entrant from participating in the Promotion or winning a Prize if, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, Sponsor determines that said Entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY; DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES: IN NO EVENT WILL THE PROMOTION PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF ANY ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THE PROMOTION OR RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZE. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE PROMOTION PARTIES’ TOTAL LIABILITY TO ANY ENTRANT FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES OR CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED THE TOTAL APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE OF THE PRIZE(S) AWARDED HEREUNDER. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS PROMOTION AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO CERTAIN ENTRANTS. ENTRANTS SHOULD CHECK THEIR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
12. DISPUTE; GOVERNING LAW: Entrants and Promotion Parties waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Promotion. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the Promotion shall be resolved by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of Pennsylvania. These Official Rules and the interpretation thereof shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Pennsylvania, without regard to its conflicts of law rules. For any matters that are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these Official Rules and/or the Promotion, Entrants and Promotion Parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the federal and state courts located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
13. WINNER LIST: The name of the Winner will be posted on the Steinbrenner Institute website at https://www.cmu.edu/steinbrenner/ on or about 1 May, 2018.
© 2018 Carnegie Mellon University Steinbrenner Institute for Environmental Education and Research. All rights reserved.